The Undiscovered Country: The FUTURE

News and Discussion of events and matters of the Yggdrasyl Servers and the forum
Please look Here *first* before posting in TROUBLE!

What kind of server would you like Yggdrasyl to become in 2013? (you may choose 2 options)

Poll ended at Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:53 pm

Co-op Survival Server with Spout Support (Custom Items, GUI)
No votes
Co-op Survival Server stripped down to reduce network Lag
No votes
CREATIVE Server with extra Spout Bells and Whistles
8%
CREATIVE Server stripped down to reduce network Lag
42%
Combined Survival and Creative Multiworld Server with the Lot
No votes
Combined Survival and Creative Multiworld Server stripped for lean running
8%
Forge Server with mods (Mo'Creatures, PamCraft, XLBiomes, etc)
17%
Anarchy with Temporary Big-End Plugins like Terrain Control, Hoth Generator, CityWorld
8%
Load up the old worlds in rotation and let players choose their own gamemode
No votes
I never play anyway I just lurk on dynmap
17%

Total votes : 12

The Undiscovered Country: The FUTURE

Postby Inscrutable » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:19 pm

Greetings and Salutations, Citizens, Denizens and Staff.

As the end of the Year/World approaches, we are considering what to do with the Server.

There are three main driving events that prompt a discussion.

(1) Worm42 has been keen to launch a Survival/PvP server of his own to manage.
I have set this up and it is running on port 25565 as a fully funtional test (MC 1.42).

(2) Owexz has suggested some kind of merger, as he has decent reliable hosting with a better network
(Yggdrasyl is presently using my home ADSL2 in Tasmania, if anyone wondered.)
His server is similar in nature to ours, although I'm not sure about Plugins...
He would gain a player base and we would gain bandwidth. Sounds familiar.... :|

(3) Both MsInscrutable and I, and to some degree NIN3, are pretty tired of playing Survival.
We've been doing it more than 2 years, and its getting to be quite a drag sometimes.
With the right map, for a short time, it can be fun. But vanilla minecraft, even with the new
bells and whistles that 1.4 adds, doesn't do it for us any more, and Bukkit can't spice it up enough.
(We currently like playing a 1.42 Forge LAN server with Mo'Creatures, Pam's Modpack and XLBiomes)

There is the prospect that, by the end of the Year, a Spout Server will be stable enough to host and enjoy,
and that vanilla plugin will be developed enough to have a host of unique new plugins to enjoy.
If that is the case, we will do what we can to migrate to that.

There are a few sticky points in all of that, so let me make it clear:
WE HAVE DECIDED NOTHING at this point in time.

Somewhen in the future, we will have to retire our worlds (Midgard, Fragilus, SkyLoot, etc) and move on.
Somewhen we will stop hosting a Minecraft Server. Possible even any game server. Eventually.

I certainly intend to continue hosting a MC or Spout/Vanilla server for as long as I enjoy playing on them.
Some of that enjoyment is taking pride in the accomplishments of other players, and their interactions.
I want to concentrate on creative gameplay, with a side-order of Adventure mode. I want to make big fancy
things for other players to discover, investigate, fight in, live in, travel in, whatever.
Perhaps some of this can even be focussed toward a future themed Spout Server, if it eventuates.

So I will definitely be running a creative server for myself, with as many gratuitous edit tools as I can
manage, and I hope I can get a willing team of eager beavers from the net to help fill it with wonders.
One plan is to make a SchemePark, where we paste, edit and copy Schematics in the hope that they may one
day be used in a WGen routine on a distant server/planet.
It's still possible such a server could support Survival players, as I want to try out every Wgen I get.
It'd be a bit like Sliders, unless we established a regular base world, though ;)

The Sticky bit is what do i do with the current Survival Server?
Do I merge with Owexz, or Keep it Here and under My Aegis? Should I let worm424 take over?
Should I give up as we have hardly any players any more anyway? Do bats poop in the dark when no-one can see?

OK, that should be quite a bit to think on, for those whom it matters to.
I'll post a poll up when I have a clearer idea what the options are.

Inscrutable out. Peace!
Spout is gone for good :( But from the ashes of several projects arises Sponge
Inscrutable
Site Admin

Re: The Undiscovered Country: The FUTURE

Postby ScruffyRules » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:59 pm

I don't mind.
This isn't even remotely funny!
[22:27] inscrutable wrote: So i throw random stuff into crucible for laughs.
ScruffyRules

Postby NIN3 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Hmm, I have to agree that regular minecraft gets old after a while. I had fun with tekkit, till the server admin of that place fell over. Im not sure what the best corse of action is, although if you are gonna sign off, you should definatlly pass the torch on.
I was gonna post a forum picture here, but it took up half the page :D
NIN3

Postby worm424 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:55 pm

I vote 2 for the merge The staff there are very nice and they have a Friday adventure map day Its a lot of fun xD
Yggdrasyl Aesir
Yggdrasyl Labs: You ask why,We say why not
worm424

Postby Inscrutable » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:06 pm

I am VERY wary of a merge, our experience trying to merge with PCS was less than optimal.
All players on both servers need to understand what is happening, and there will always be issues
to do with preference of plugins, let alone the migration and retention of old worlds.

We have quite a bit of baggage Plugin-wise and Build-wise (Fragilus has builds dating back over a year,
and we all have hard-won mcmmo stats, iConomy money, Backpacks, and the like).

You are most welcome to join the staff at Dominion, worm, and help them run the show.
Perhaps you might even like to port your PvP server setup as-is, or add the worlds to Dominion.
That would be a lot more straight forward.

Some familiar staff there may encourage some of our players to join Dominion. But as it is whitelisted,
players cannot see what they are getting. No dynmap, no forum, not a lot of information at all.

As I said, I will post a Poll when it looks like we have some concrete proposals to decide amongst. TBA
Inscrutable
Site Admin

Postby NIN3 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:03 am

So maybe some one should talk to them, and get all of us, staff admin and regular active users, white listed for a while so we can see what the server is like and what people it houses before we all go marching over?
NIN3

Postby Owexz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Just to get this straight; I do not want a takeover, rather I would like Dominion to complement Yggdrasyl. Inscrutable has done a fantastic job making an amazing server and I don't want to be the guy who just waltzes in and steals his idea, I'd much rather that Inscrutable retains complete creative control over his own server and our server just acts as a partner. Also, I think if we use Ygg's forums for both servers, we can share a community and encourage collaboration between servers and thus prevent any "Draining" of playerbases.

Dominion was primarily set up to host the Friday Challenges we do, the normal map is massively under-utilised, therefore I think Dominion can be of better use in supporting projects such as Worm424's PVP server, things that are similar to what we already do. In the case of Worm's server, using Dominion to do the same thing is better for all parties involved, as we have the bandwidth and speed to cope with extra players, along with it being placed well for international players (The server is hosted in the USA and we've never had any lag, even during massive battles with 16 players) and Worm can bring in players to help with our lack of them. By setting it up in this way, Dominion doesn't take players off Yggdrasyl, but instead attracts players who left it due to latency issues and soforth.

Some points on Dominion:
-The server has a "Vanilla" playstyle, with the only major gameplay changes being Lockette and our SkyStone world.
-Whitelisted so that only trusted players join, we normally decide this through how players act during our challenges.
-No dynmap so that people use maps in-game and to further encourage Vanilla gameplay.
-We do have a website (dominionmc.owexz.net), however it is still a work in progress, most of our stuff is organised through either Facebook or Skype.
Owexz

Postby Inscrutable » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:29 pm

ummm.... WOW. That is some serious flattery, O. I haven't had anyone describe Yggdrasyl
in quite such glowing terms before. I'm used to it being called chaos of some sort... :roll:

I figured you weren't here to take over, and I'm not gonna take over Dominion.
I DO agree with NIN3's suggestion of getting to know each other though, so maybe we can
use the existing forums here (or make some new ones) to get that accomplished.

So it seems that the plan, for now, is that the players would have access to both servers,
if they have achieved a sufficient level of trust on one. Perhaps some convergence of plugins
and/or economies might happen in the future, perhaps not. I guess we need to exchange whitelists.
If you want, I can go through my Player list (in my PEx permissions,yml) and make some comments
on each of them, and give you that. I did the same for Supa way-back-when.

Worm's PvP server is most welcome to merge with Dominion, in whichever way you see fit.
It only has a modicum of plugins (MC 1.42) - CommandBook, with WE (dependency), Lockette,
PEx (with Chatmanager and ModifyWorld), MV-Core, SkyStone, and Magical Creepers (nerfer).
Let me know if you need to port any worlds/configs/whitelists etc.

One thing I haven't discussed, that is also a motivation for change: BAGGAGE.
We have a lot of Baggage from two years of gameplay (well, 18 months on Fragilus, anyway.)
A slightly bloated iConomy, scarcely used shops, an assemblage of plugins that are only rarely
used (eg Chainmail, Retractable Bridge, Portcullis, ScubaKit, Mobrider, DHD, EnderSpawn...)
and over a hundred Custom Spout Blocks and items (PaintedStone, StainedGlass, Pavement,
ChainMail, YAMP). Losing some of these may help lessen lag and improve network performance.

I have done my best to keep the number of worlds from spiralling out of control,
but I have over twenty on file at the moment. Tartarus is my favourite of all.

Losing Dynmap would too, but both MsI and I both love it, even if we also use the SpoutCraft
MiniMap or REI's Minimap on our clients, and have in-game maps too, Because, IMHO, the in-game
maps are awful, difficult to use, and ugly as hell, and because a Dynmap allows a number of things:
It functions as a Server Advert - people can see what's happening, what's been made, and get a
general lay-of-the-land at a glance. Plus admin staff can spy on the server easily from many locations.
We were playing for four weeks with it set to full hires HDMaps on Midgatrd and Fragilus, and there was
not a significant increase in network lag. I don't think it is the main culprit for network hogging.
I can, and probably will, turn off dynmap-mobs. I don't really care where my cats are any more. :)

Finally, a comment on Vanilla gameplay: I get bored with it inside an hour now. Thats why I added:
Plugins (46): Pail, EnderSpawn, Spout, PorteCoulissante, ScubaKit, Vault, Backpack, Stargate, PermissionsEx, Multiverse-Core, Furnace Api, PailPlus, RemoteToolkitPlugin, dynmap, PaintedStone, PlayerPlus, EasyEnchant, iConomy, RetractableBridge, Chainmail, Pavement, EnoughItemsAlready, KitPlugin, Magical Creepers, Lockette, Modifyworld, iChat, mcMMO, MoveCraft, SkyStoneGen, WorldBorder, WorldEdit, StargateCommand, StainedGlass, Stargate-DHD, CommandBook, dynmap-mobs, RecipeManager, LogBlock, WorldGuard, ecoCreature, iChatMessages, YAMP, Cenotaph, ChestShop, MobRider
Quite some baggage indeed. But compatible with survival, if you don't mind Movecraft... ;)

So if any Dominion players want to join here, PM me and I'll fast-track their forum status (we have a spambot
invasion in full tilt at present, so I flush the user list every few days to clear non-posting members).
Inscrutable
Site Admin

Postby NIN3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:19 am

So if any Dominion players want to join here, PM me and I'll fast-track their forum status (we have a spambot
invasion in full tilt at present, so I flush the user list every few days to clear non-posting members).

When you make an account, just be sure to make your first post in the white listing section rather quickly, and I will be sure to aprove it through mod magic. The spam bots like to come in droves :P
Last edited by ScruffyRules on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo :P
NIN3

Postby Inscrutable » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:57 pm

Bumpity Dumpy bump bump.

:idea: I put up a poll, results are due at Xmas. You all get two votes each,
and you can change your vote before the final day if you need.
Inscrutable
Site Admin

Next

Return to News