The New Minecraft EULA Proposal

Whatever. If it fills with crap it gets deleted. YMMV. HAND

The New Minecraft EULA Proposal

Postby Inscrutable » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:01 pm

It looks like Mojang are doing their best to kill a lot of servers.
The new EULA (which looks pretty questionable, and already undermined by precedent)
prohibits servers from selling anything non-cosmetic (ie anything that "changes gameplay").

Leaving out the daftly nebulous definitions of what changes to gameplay actually are,
it seems this will essentially cripple most servers with significant ranking systems.

Quoting Mojang (from MCF, 18-6-14):
Can I sell ranks on my server?
Yes. Ranks are allowed so long as any perks gained are cosmetic. Coloured names, prefixes, special hats etc. are fine.

Not that this affects Yggdrasyl, no-one has ever had to "donate" to get ranked.
But I know a huge number of servers that this will *destroy*.
Because Mojang are having a hissy-fit over a few South American and Russian megaservers.
Big servers use Spigot, and may be the largest single funding source for *all* modding/plugins.
Without them, the resources we all want will begin to dry up, along with the money.
All because some dumb punk kids paid hundreds of bucks for trivial shit, just like they do with iTunes.

If ever there was a need for a public-source miencraft clone, it would be now..... Vale, Spout. :(

Postscript: I think any Lawyer presented with Mojang's EULA and asked to help legalise it would tell them to sod off.
It's a nightmarish concept to define "gameplay", let alone the other issues involved. I think it's all Hot Air.
Spout is gone for good :( But from the ashes of several projects arises Sponge
Inscrutable
Site Admin

Return to CHAT and OFF TOPIC