What to do with Spout?

Whatever. If it fills with crap it gets deleted. YMMV. HAND

What to do with Spout?

Postby Inscrutable » Tue May 15, 2012 9:57 pm

Hello All.

With the imminent rise of the Spout stand-alone client and server, I have been turning my mind to
what we might be able to set up. Spout will allow custom creatures, trees, ores and items, and I would
like to develop an ecology that bears only superficial resemblance to Minecraft.

My vague bundle of ideas has started coalescing into something, so here's what I have:

Fornax

Spawn would be deep in an alien jungle world, resplendent with unknown vegetation (some hostile)
and populated with unique new biomes and their respective wildlife. New liquids flow from some trees,
and new geological phenomena arise, like geysers, vents, volcanoes, and toxic plumes.

Hidden deep within the world, mostly buried in the jungle and layered with vines, lies a vast and
ancient Relic. It is the colony ship that brought the population here, and it is securely locked.
(Admins can dwell in it and come out from time to time, representing AI androids from the ship).

When players eventually figure out how to get into the Ship, it is like another world.
(It might even be one, much like Time And Relative Dimensions In Space devices).
It is mostly free of the hostile life of the surface, and has many high-tech facilities available.
Players can develop new tools and devices here, and better farms, but at a price:
The ships master computer considers them pests, much like the wildlife, and periodically
sends out patrols of hunter-killer robots to expunge them. The same response usually follows
an incursion by the local wildlife, an occasional natural hazard.

To defeat the Ship's computer, the players must enter a third virtual dimension made of
unique blocks. Nothing from the outside world may enter. This world has no gravity, but streams
of data surge in twisted torrrents and architecture follows logical sequences of changes.
Should the players defeat this, they may reassemble and repurpose the computer themselves.
This could be the endgame, rewarded with all supplies and vehicles, or it could extend to enabling
the Ship and departing for new worlds, and going where no minecrafter has gone before...

OK, there's clearly a lot of work involved in this, both sculpture wise (the ship) and plugin-wise.
Some of it might be accomplished readily with relatively common plugins (when they are ported)
but some of it will need dire customisation indeed. So this will for-sure need a friendly dev or 12
to get it together, WGen custom items mobs plants liquids etc and all...

So, am I crazy? Does that soud cool? Suggestions, additions welcome.
Detailed deconstruction, itemisation and plugin construction MORE than welcome XD
Spout is gone for good :( But from the ashes of several projects arises Sponge
Inscrutable
Site Admin

Re: What to do with Spout?

Postby NIN3 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:04 am

Mr I, your off your rocker! (runs off to copy idea)

I like this idea, A LOT! If we could create new waters, materials, and I guess terrain gens based on what you had to say, it would be awsome. I would even pull out my crappy computer drawing skills and help texture stuff should need be.

The first area you find, is the realm. Its somewhat normal, although made up of an alien like jungle.

The ship could be built out of a new admincreate block, and have a door on it that needs a key to open. the key would have to use a plugin, or have an admin open it if you have the required materials (diamond blocks, and lapis blocks etc?). THis would bring you to a portal (I would think that would be needed for space reasons) to lead you into the next world.

The next world would not be what you thought from the outside. Instead of being a paradice like the realm was, the inside of the ship is a one way journy to hell. Inside you find a crazy cave system made out of mostly hard to mine stones, and lots of diffrent ores and materials to build with. But within you would find very little life, most being part mechanical due to the crazy robot (glados much?) that runs the facility. Often you will find mechanical critters who want to kill you, sluge and posinous liquids, and prisoners whom wish to steal your stuff. There will also be cake.....

The third world could be found from a portal in the heart of the prison, that would lead you to the electronic world. I dont really know what could go there.

(most of my ideas are stolen from books ive read)
I was gonna post a forum picture here, but it took up half the page :D
NIN3

Postby Inscrutable » Sat May 19, 2012 5:14 pm

OK, I have a few more details (or concepts) to present.
This mainly relates to the Alien World, Fornax:

PLANT LIFE
Tall, twisted trees with spiraling trunks (so they go down and up again). Sticky sap that bleeds from
open stumps and eventually hardens to Resin. Perhaps some trees even have corrosive sap that burns flesh
and destroys iron and other metals. Bottling this stuff might be fun,
Talking trees. Some that whisper secrets (maybe in low-contrast on-screen text) from a master table.
Some that abuse passers by. or make threats. Some that offer deals (quests) or ever trade.
If they are chopoped, they are likely to become more amenable.
Triffids. Long-reaching stingers and slow moving, and capable of being grown from seed.
Strangler Vines. Huge fungal flowers with noxious odours that yield special medicines.
(The noxious odours might need custom coloured fog maybe? or new particles?)

FUNGAL LIFE
Three kinds of semi-intelligent to highly intelligent mobile flying Fungal life forms.
Oologs are floating jellyfish of varying size and colour, which are quite slow, stupid,
and can be harnessed and used as transportation and heavy lifting equipment.
Yxil are the smartest, strange random bundles of 2-5 tetrahedral caltrop-like bracts,
which float gently on hundreds of buzzing wings and anchor thenselves anywhere handy.
They can talk and trade, and are quite technically adept, and mostly harmless.
Xantaks are long rainbow-colored flying flatworms that are very aggressive and fast moving.
They are trained as defensive animals by the Yxil, and are about as smart as dogs,
but can be as big as Dragons and be ridden by a trained rider.

Still thinking on aquatic life and land-life.
Most of this is impossible right now. But it would be cool to see...

Also, I think letting players develop, learn and swap blueprints for crafting would be
a useful way of managing the spread of technology in this environment.
SOme kind of master tech manual for each character.
And a Teleport Bracelet dispenser at spawn (one free at start).

More insane ideas to come. Feel free to add your own, tweak or add to these,
or even break it down into functional components so we can build it.
Inscrutable
Site Admin

Postby Inscrutable » Fri May 25, 2012 12:15 am

ANIMAL LIFE
Dr Zharks creatures are hard to beat as wildlife goes. But we can go beyond that...
I think a HP Lovecraft - Cthulhu Mythos theme would work reasonably well too.
Give Endermen wings and they can be NightGaunts. Pick people up at random and drop them if they struggle.
A new skin and less destruction of blocks, and EnderDragons can be Shantaks.
Deep Ones living in the Sea, a bit like subterranean villagers.

Underground - beware, for if you delve too deep there are demons buried from another age
Dholes - Huge worms only encountered VERY deep underground. All-consuming destruction :twisted:
Cthonians - Tentacled things dwelling in Lava. Can be ridden by using an Elder Sign? ;)
Inscrutable
Site Admin

Postby Inscrutable » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:16 am

I have been thinking on this idea, and it should be possible to import a world and/or schematics
from a vanilla minecraft server onto a spout vanilla server (if it ever eventuates :P)

So maybe we can start work on the Spaceship.
I think it would need a Creative Server with VoxelSniper, WorldEdit, and Multiverse.
Start it on a grassy flat world, nice and low but above the bottom so it's easy to cut and paste.
MsI wants to do big Biospheres on it, which is a nice touch. We'd need 12, I estimate.
Maybe 1000-2000 blocks in length, maybe 200-300 wide (or more), preferable less than 200 deep.
(but hey, if a spout server can handle infinite block height worlds, go for the limit).
Iron for the hull (or obsidian? maybe I can globally replace later with custom hullmetal?).
Think BIG.

Server Yet to be Set Up, pending some design adjustments and/or a bukkit Update / MC 1.42.
PS: Spout would not be required, all cheats enabled, view distance 10 to facilitate big stuff.
Basic Dynmap for looksee, and sod the permissions. :P

Comments/ideas?
Inscrutable
Site Admin

Postby NIN3 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:25 am

Most interesting, especially if we are to make it out of its own matirial. If we are gonna do that, why not make it out of somthing stupid, like sandstone1 or wood, so that we can switch it over and still use iron in the build.

Cant wait to get started.
I was gonna post a forum picture here, but it took up half the page :D
NIN3

Postby Inscrutable » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Yeah, I was thinking of using a hull material that can easily be replaced.
Alternatively it can be protected by other plugin means, but block specific is better.

What still looks reasonable that isn't likely to be used elsewhere in the build?
Adminium is the other obvious alternative.

It's likely that, given access to our own custom blocks, we would use a large number of
them if possible. Perhaps we can start categorising what we want/need as we go along.
I don't think we can think of it all ahead of time, but we might start to use other blocks as
placeholders for their final intended spout material.

We could also use More Materials, but they cannot yet (as far as I know, correct me if wrong!)
be used in WorldEdit functions, meaning that we cant globally cut/replace/fill with them.
(In fact, doing so often introduces a swathe of problems with persistent textures)

I'll make a clone of all we need from the Creative server (last running gazillions of spout blocks)
and try to launch it sometime before the weekend. Anyone have any idea how to tweak the flat
world generator parameters in Multiverse (using the /mv create command)?

Also, I will try to post a pic of the rough intended structure of the vessel, as a starting point.
Inscrutable
Site Admin

Postby ScruffyRules » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:32 pm

Inscrutable wrote:Anyone have any idea how to tweak the flat
world generator parameters in Multiverse (using the /mv create command)?

I only know how with add ons for MV.
This isn't even remotely funny!
[22:27] inscrutable wrote: So i throw random stuff into crucible for laughs.
ScruffyRules

Postby Inscrutable » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm pretty sure MV has support for tweaking flat worlds, and Minecraft has it native too now.
I just cant recall the porotocol for declaring layers in the /mv create command. I guess I'll hit the wiki...

On other topics:

TomorrowsEnd1a.png
A draft of a sketch I just made. Tomorrow's End, the Colony Ship.
TomorrowsEnd1a.png (9.33 KiB) Viewed 3449 times
Inscrutable
Site Admin

Postby ScruffyRules » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:01 pm

Inscrutable wrote:I'm pretty sure MV has support for tweaking flat worlds, and Minecraft has it native too now.
I just cant recall the porotocol for declaring layers in the /mv create command. I guess I'll hit the wiki...

On other topics:

TomorrowsEnd1a.png

with the biome things you can use world edit for that! :P i think its //setbiome aha.
This isn't even remotely funny!
[22:27] inscrutable wrote: So i throw random stuff into crucible for laughs.
ScruffyRules

Next

Return to CHAT and OFF TOPIC